Southern Miss to host French Quarter Legend “Queen Clarinet” Doreen Ketchens | Arts & Culture
On Feb. 5 The University of Southern Mississippi College of Arts & Letters and Honors Forum will bring New Orleans jazz and culture to Hattiesburg as they host Doreen Ketchens, a musical legend from the French Quarter. The event will begin at 6:30 p.m. in the Thad Cochran Center, Ballroom 1 and admission is free.
Ketchens has been called "Queen Clarinet" "the female Louis Armstrong” and “Lady Louie” by music critics. She has performed for four U. S. presidents, including Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush and Bill Clinton.
“We not only entertain, but also educate through music the rich, historic and diverse culture of New Orleans,” said Ketchens, who will also offer an interactive workshop at 6:30, followed by what promises to be an amazing performance.
For more on this article, click HERE to go to the USM website.
Top Forrest County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Mississippi Polymer Institute teams with Miss. State on Rocket Project
- Schoemann named Operations Manager at Southern Miss Center
- Geography students study McComb’s assets for downtown development
- Department of Education offers opportunity to students denied graduation
- Thousands of MS students denied for graduation ceremonies