Southern Miss to host French Quarter Legend “Queen Clarinet” Doreen Ketchens | Arts & Culture
On Feb. 5 The University of Southern Mississippi College of Arts & Letters and Honors Forum will bring New Orleans jazz and culture to Hattiesburg as they host Doreen Ketchens, a musical legend from the French Quarter. The event will begin at 6:30 p.m. in the Thad Cochran Center, Ballroom 1 and admission is free.
Ketchens has been called "Queen Clarinet" "the female Louis Armstrong” and “Lady Louie” by music critics. She has performed for four U. S. presidents, including Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush and Bill Clinton.
“We not only entertain, but also educate through music the rich, historic and diverse culture of New Orleans,” said Ketchens, who will also offer an interactive workshop at 6:30, followed by what promises to be an amazing performance.
For more on this article, click HERE to go to the USM website.
Upcoming Events near Forrest County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hattiesburg garbage truck fire extinguished on Highway 98
- Midday Guests: Wendy and Houston Rhodes with the Seth Harris Childhood Cancer Foundation
- Southern Miss president touts energy research at USM
- Hattiesburg’s National Night Out Against Crime Campaign Ranks 8th in Country
- Federal Judge Dismisses Lawsuit Against Southern Miss