State senator working on bill to protect religious freedoms in schools | News
HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM)- Jones County District 42 State Senator Chris McDaniel is working on a bill he says will defend the religious rights of children in Mississippi schools.
Senator Chris McDaniel is working on what he believes is a bill that would protect the First Amendment called The Religious School Liberties Act of 2013.
"Our students in our schools are not being allowed to be able to express their religious sentiments and their ideas the way we think they should be," said McDaniel. "If people want to write about religious assignments or they want to write about people they care about, whether it's Jesus or whether it's someone else, they should have that right to express their religious sentiments, and this bill goes a long way into protecting those rights."
McDaniel says the bill submitted to the legislature on Monday.
Copyright 2013 WDAM. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Forrest County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Children have breakfast with Santa to help Hattiesburg Homes of Hope
- Hattiesburg High students take medical field path and receive white coats
- US Senator Thad Cochran runs for re-election, opponent Chris McDaniel reacts
- Ellisville names citizen of the year
- Salvation Army hosts "Fill a Truck" event benefiting Angel Tree Program