Incoming Southern Miss student Dupard captures National Poetry Contest | Schools
Kristen Dupard may not write acclaimed poetry, but she certainly ranks among the elite when it comes to reciting and interpreting poems.
Dupard, who graduated from Ridgeland (Miss.) High School in May, was crowned the 2012 Poetry Out Loud national champion during the annual competition held last month in Washington, D.C. She plans to attend The University of Southern Mississippi as a freshman for the upcoming fall semester.
The competition began last September with more than 365,000 students in grades nine through 12, representing approximately 2,255 high schools. Dupard emerged as one of 53 contestants -- which included the 50 U.S. states; Puerto Rico; the Virgin Islands and the District of Columbia. In addition to a beautiful trophy, Dupard also collected a $20,000 first prize.
For more on this article click HERE.
Top Forrest County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Ryan Hughes at Nick's Ice House
- Inventor Creates Card Beams with Mississippi Polymer Institute’s 3D Printer
- Hub City Poker Run to benefit Hattiesburg Domestic Abuse Shelter
- Southern Miss Communications Team Wins Several Awards at Annual Conference
- American Cancer Society Marks 100 Years of Saving Lives from Cancer