New director of Southern Miss Bands to make conducting debut | Schools
Dr. Catherine Rand makes her conducting debut with The University of Southern Mississippi’s top wind band, the Wind Ensemble, on Oct. 9 at 7:30 p.m. in Bennett Auditorium on the Hattiesburg campus.
“After years of hearing about the wonderful programs here at Southern Miss, I am so excited to be a part of this wonderful community of musicians,” said Rand. “Everyone has been so welcoming and the students have been working so hard to continue the caliber of performance for which the wind ensemble is known.”
The concert includes music that represents the wind ensemble genre of the 21st century and features a performance by Dr. Danilo Mezzadri on flute, for The Shadow of Sirius written by Joel Puckett. This beautiful piece is based upon three poems written by the American poet, W.S. Merlin. Works by David Maslanka, John Mackey, Joel Puckett and Michael Daughtery are also on the program.
For more on this article click HERE to go to the Southern Miss website.
Top Forrest County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hub City Poker Run to benefit Hattiesburg Domestic Abuse Shelter
- Southern Miss Communications Team Wins Several Awards at Annual Conference
- American Cancer Society Marks 100 Years of Saving Lives from Cancer
- Hattiesburg residents speak out on immigration bill
- Thriffiley New Director-Liaison for Osher Lifelong Learning Institute